WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL BLOG for La Pétanque Marinière in San Rafael, California. LPM has been an active Marin pétanque club since 1972 and affiliated with the Fédération of Pétanque USA, since 1975. We welcome people of all abilities, ages and nationalities to come and enjoy pétanque with us.
The Pierre Joske Courts are located on Civic Center drive in San Rafael. (click for directions). Casual games are played every Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from about 1 pm. Tournament play is usually held on the second Sunday of every month.
Please consult the links on the sidebar to the right for more information on clubs in the bay area, nationally and world wide.
If you would like to play but haven't any boules, please contact our President, Christine Cragg, or Vice-President Ken Lee. They can bring some for you to use, as well as introduce you to the basic skills and techniques of pétanque. In addition, if you are looking to purchase boules but are unsure as to which size and weight are right for you, we have a range of different examples from which to choose.
Friday, September 26, 2008
Limited to the first 200, so reserve your spot today!
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Marin hosted the first-annual Interclub Tournament in 2007 with the goal being that the hosting duties would rotate to a different club every year. The following year’s host was to be chosen from the participating clubs by random method, at the end of the tournament day. Sacramento won the toss to host the 2008 tournament.
Bring your own Lunch / Aperitif will be served at the Awards Ceremony
Pre-registration through your club President is required.
Participants must play only with members from their ‘primary’ club.
On-site PRE-REGISTERED PLAYER CHECK IN ends: 9:30 / Games start: 10:00
Registration fee $3.00 per player
Details for Interclub Tournament Format and Club Eligibility
1) In order to be eligible to participate, a club has to present a MINIMUM of eight (8) players and has to present an EVEN number of players. This has to be coordinated by each club and the Host Club is to receive the list of enrolled players from the President or Director of Sports of each club by the Wednesday that precedes the tournament date. (All team members must play with their “primary” club. Associate members are not eligible.)
2) On-site PRE-REGISTERED PLAYER CHECK IN ends at 9:30 and games start at 10:00.
3) 3 qualification games played in doublettes with random pairing of the members of the same club .
4) Within each club, each of their players will be ranked according to number of wins and number of points.
7) In case there are 2 clubs ranking equal for the second place (which allows this club to play in the finale), the club having the larger number of players enrolled in the tournament wins the second place and plays the finale.
8) In case there are 2 players of a given club which rank equal for third place (which allow them to be part of the finale game triplette), the sport director (of the host club) will choose randomly between these 2 players (by coin toss).
9) The hosting club offers aperitif at awards ceremony.
10) No Cash Prizes will be given. A minimal entry fee will be charged to offset the cost of trophy engraving and aperitif served.
11) The perpetual trophy was sponsored by Bank of the West (with their logo and the title of the tournament on the trophy) After each tournament, the year, name of wining club and winning triplette will be engraved at the cost of the hosting club.
Going East on I-50 towards South Lake Tahoe, after the Watt Ave exit, continue on and exit right on Mather Field Road. Stay right on Mather Field Road, past Rockingham, at the next light turn right unto Peter Mc Cuen Blvd. The courts are across the street from the water tower.
FPUSA National Sport Director
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
The links below will let you download the entry form for the tournament and a list of recommended hotels for out-of-town participants, as well as directions to their courts.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Crack of bat, clack of skateboard, woosh of in-line skates. Now there's a new sound emerging from Cary Park in Fresno: the clunk of boules.
A boule is a steel ball used in the outdoor bowling sport of pétanque, originally a French game that is now played by millions in Europe and is gaining adherents in the United States, especially Fresno.... more
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 21st, 2008. START TIME 9.00 AM
PIERRE JOSKE COURTS, SAN RAFAEL, CA click here for directions
ENTRY FEE PER TEAM: $60.00
Your check or money order and entry form must be received NO LATER than THURSDAY, SEPT.18TH. CASH ONLY will be accepted the day of the tournament, however, Christine MUST be notified of your team members by the FRIDAY the 19.
Please make check payable to La Pétanque Marinière and mail to:
Christine Cragg, 78 Madrone Ave., San Anselmo, CA 94960 Phone 415.302.5069
Check in 8.00-8.30 a.m. Competition begins at 9.00 a.m.
- Coffee served in the morning. - Bring your own lunch
- Aperitif and snacks served at the awards ceremony
For more information –
Web site: cochonnetmarin.com
Blog site: petanque-marin.blogspot.com
Per FPUSA rules this event is open only to RENEWING members of the FPUSA whose dues for 2008 have been received by June 23, 2008. HOWEVER, New Members may join when submitting this entry form.
Players are reminded that they must have their FPUSA Membership Card on their person.
The International Rules of Petanque and the FPUSA Code of Conduct will be in force at this event. For your safety, closed-toes shoes are required.
HIGHLIGHT, PRINT AND SUBMIT THE LOWER PORTION WITH YOUR ENTRY
FPUSA N.W. REGIONAL MIXED TRIPLES CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM
PLAYER # 2:_________________________________________________
PLAYER # 3:_________________________________________________
PHONE #: (______)____________-___________________
AMOUNT ENCLOSED: $_____________________
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Monday, September 1, 2008
La Pétanque Marinière would like to extend a most gracious thank you to the Furlans, extended familes, members of the Club Français de Sacramento and everyone who gave of their time and energy to provide such a scenic venue and a very enjoyable event.
click here to watch the slideshow.